When my daughter was diagnosed with ADHD, her therapist suggested we get her into gymnastics as a way to release energy and keep her focused! It was the best suggestion ever.
Ava was forced to listen to the coach and she instantly grew a love for the sport because the class was fun and moving at all times! If you’re considering gymnastics for your child here are some benefits you should be aware of!
1. Gymnastics keeps kids physically active. Get those youngins’away from TV and video games! The American Academy of Pediatrics believes that partaking in organized sports provides a chance for young people to increase their activity and develop socially and physically. Gym.Net adds that gymnastics is one of the most comprehensive lifestyle exercise programs available to children, incorporating strength, flexibility, speed, balance, coordination, power, and discipline. It can be recreational or competitive!
2. Gymnastics has social benefits. I’ve watched Ava learn how better handle physical and emotional challenges in life since starting her gymnastics program. She’s building friendships and learning how to cope with girl “tiffs” and competition. It allows kids to communicate with people their own age, work within a team, and engage with adults.
3. Gymnastics teaches commitment and discipline. You have to concentrate and work on the same movements constantly to perfect them. It also shows how hard work pays off. Ava worked for weeks on getting her splits down as she isn’t a limber girl. To see the smile and sense of accomplishment of getting her splits down made her proud and taught her the benefits of dedication!
4. Gymnastics also helps kids improve on their motor skills, coordination and balance. Gymnastics gives children an opportunity to “work” with their own bodies. Gymnasts learn how to use different parts of their bodies than other sports.
5. Gymnastics builds strength. Little Ava was once a “stick”! Now that she’s been participating in gymnastics she’s putting some meat on her bones and she is STRONG! Gymnastics builds all-around muscle strength, power and endurance.
I hope this list of benefits helps you decide if gymnastics is for your child. I can’t be happier that we found a sport that my daughter LOVES!Tags: gymnastics